Mar 8, 2006

THURSDAYS ARE FOR INTROSPECTION

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE UNDER-EVOLVED PART OF MY BRAIN THAT ENJOYS WATCHING "GILMORE GIRLS"

Dear Brain,
We've been together for quite a while now, you and I, and I thought that, given our history, our deep and abiding connection, our mutual hatred of, well, most everything, that I could count on you to never betray me. Unfortunately, this seems not to be the case. Instead of following the strict guy code of never watching a TV show with the words "girls" or "women" in the title, you have unilaterally decided to find watching "Gilmore Girls" enjoyable, GILMORE GIRLS! It's right there in the title ,for God sakes, brain, "GIRLS."
Sure I know what you'll say, that the characters are both believable and lovable, that you find Lauren Graham so enrapturing that you aren't sure if you want her to date us or adopt us, that the overlapping dialogue and witty reparte is reminiscent of the early Aaron Sorkin years of "West Wing" which we so loved. That two rather hot chicks in one show, a show that already features stimulating dialogue, is more than a man has a right to ask for, perhaps even going so far as to point out the dearth of attractive women on Sports Night (Felicity Huffman?) and West Wing (Does Allison Janney even count as a woman, or does she violate the maximum height allowance?). Maybe you might even try to say that having the two aforementioned hot chicks being mother and daughter satisfies some, as of yet, undiscovered male fantasy of ours. Yet while all of that may in fact be true (not that I'm admitting to the mother daughter fantasy mind you)I feel like you're missing the point, IT HAS "GIRLS" IN THE TITLE.
So I ask you, brain, please, in the name of all that good and masculine, end this obssession with the girls Gilmore. If you do maybe I might even give you a treat, like eating fish more often (get it, brain food) or playing scrabble once in a while.

Sincerely,

If I Ran The World

P.S. - Thanks for the help with that mock trial

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:02 PM

    wow, I cannot believe that you enjoy that show. my wife watches all the time and i find it so annoying. i am losing more and more respect for you the more i read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok first of all, ummm, Ok I've got nothing, but you do have to give me credit for 3 new posts this week

    ReplyDelete