Nov 5, 2009

DOGGIE OR BARF?

There comes a point in every meal, every good meal at least, where you have to make a decision; finish the plate or take a doggie bag. Moments like these are pregnant with variables that must be calculated in nanoseconds. Am I full? If I finish this, will I be sick in half an hour? Is there enough left to make a meal out of later? Will I be embarrassed to ask the waiter to wrap it up. If you hesistate, push the decision off even just a bite or two it'll be too late. The moment will have passed and the decision will be have been made for you. I had such a Rubicon moment today. I knew I was full, but also knew I wouldnt feel the effects of it for a few moments yet. I had a window to keep eating. There was also exactly enough food on the plate to fill one of those chinese takeout boxes and it was a dish that reheated well. The forces were marshalled and stacked evenly on each side. It could have gone either way. Unfortunately, I lost focus. I was reading while eating (the only way you can eat alone in a restaurant) and took two bites without thinking. By the time I regained my focus and looked down the remains looked rather puny. I'd waited too long though, the fullness hit me like a an angry transvestite and I was down to a dilemma with no winning choices; stuff myself or throw it out. Only it wasn't really a choice. In my head I'd already committed myself to eating everything on that plate, whether at once or later tonight. I wasn't about to undo all that and so I ate and ate and here I sit, nauseus, lightheaded and frightfully aware that I missed my chance. Don't let it happen to you. Learn from my mistake.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:07 AM

    Lightweight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:04 PM

    angry transvestite LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:22 PM

    And to think...at the moment you were struggling with this difficult decision, those starving children in Africa that our parents told us about sat with elbows on their distended stomachs and pondered the exact same thing. "Do I take this grain of rice home, or do I just binge on it now?" Weird huh?

    ReplyDelete