Nov 4, 2009

YOU SHOOT ANYONE THAT COMES THROUGH THAT DOOR!

LA Dodger's pitcher Vincente Padilla was shot in the leg... by his own bodyguard. As this isn't an episode of 24, the guard didn't turn on him, and there was no criminal activity (except for stupidity) involved. The guard simply shot him, by accident, in the leg. What makes this more amusing is that Mr. Padilla (or as we shall henceforth call him, Gimpy) was at the firing range being instructed in the finer points of marksmanship by said bodyguard.

I'll be honest. I enjoy this story. Not because I hate rich people or like seeing other human beings in pain (both true), but because I feel like anyone who thinks they're so important they to need to hire a bodyguard, needs to bleed every once in a while, if only to remind them they belong to the same race as you and I.

Speaking of racial disharmony, I saw 'Where The Wild Things Are' last night. I don't want to say it sucked because that'd be unfair, also because I have a rather high opinion of myself, but we'll get to that in a moment. The movie was well-made, the acting was quite good and it definitely had emotional heft. Still, I was both bored and depressed throughout, and spent most of the movie thinking that all this could have been avoided if someone slipped some Ritalin in the kid's mashed potatoes.

I don't know if this is a kids movie. I know it's based on a children's book, but plenty of adult movies have been made from children's books. For example, this book: Still, even I, as an adult (god, it hurt to say that) have the patience for a movie in which NOTHING happens. More importantly I worry what not liking this movie says about me. It received solidly above average reviews from all the intellectual review sites and I left before it even ended. Normally I'm full of excuses (ask anyone who's ever relied on me for anything) If I didn't like a movie I should I'd say I have the tastes of a child, but that won't work in this case, it's based on a children's book! Still, I'd usually have the other half of the retort (because I'll take either side if I get to be right) and I'd say it was too childish, but again, it was decidedly serious. I have no excuses. Much like my attempts at avoiding going to the gym, I'm left with nothing but honesty and in this case honesty makes me feel like a Philistine. So yes I hate 'Where The Wild Things Are' Not because it sucked (it did) but because I thought it sucked. How's that for a paradox?

3 comments:

  1. inna a1:33 PM

    eh, it's nothing a little fast and furious won't fix right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. perhaps 2 fast 2 furious, or faster and furiouser, or 2 faster 2 furiouser: the sequel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:12 PM

    Maybe you didn't like it because you know that you actually don't have anything that resembles a heart? Or maybe it's because you're too intelectually shallow to understand the inner workings of a childs immagination?

    ReplyDelete