Oct 28, 2009

DOES THIS STRAIGHT JACKET MAKE ME LOOK FAT?

So (some have you may have noticed that many of my posts begin with 'So' or similar derivations, before you correct my grammar, this is both acceptable and purposeful. You see, by starting with 'so' I invite you into the post; it makes it seem as if we're simply picking up a conversation we'd started earlier that had been interrupted [how rude!]. There, now you know), I was on the NY Times website today and, because I, like most of you, am too lazy to look for articles I personally want to read, I found myself scanning the 'Most Popular' menu on the bottom of the screen. I know I should be more of an independent reader and that limiting my news intake to the 'Most Popular' section is akin to listening to Britney Spears music (OK I'm not going to lie... I really like it. It's good! No really it is, it's catchy. You're just biased because you think you're supposed to hate it. Come on, I know someone out there agrees with me! Granted the words 'Radar' and 'Operator' don't actually rhyme and I'm pretty sure there are machines involved in making her sound good, but the woman is clearly disturbed, I don't think we should hold her to such exacting standards). Anyway, I was scanning the list of most popular stories and I saw a title that caught my eye:

Weight Gain Associated With Antipsychotic Drugs

OK here are my questions regarding this story:

1) If you're on antipsychotic medication shouldn't you be less concerned about weight and more focused on the whole becoming a psycho killer thing?

2) Is this a bad thing? Are we treating this weight gain like some sort of negative side effect? I don't know about you, but I prefer an overweight and out of shape psychotic community. If something goes wrong and they forget their medication or someone knocks off the delivery truck and keeps them from getting it, I want to know I can outrun the stampeding psychotic herd.

3) Did someone tell the psychotics about this? I'm sorry, but I don't think I want them weighing the pros and cons of taking their crazy people pills. What if they have a hot date or something? I know this may seem preposterous, but there are people who'd rather date a crazy person than a fat person... I'm just saying, I have a uh, 'friend' like that.

4) Do they actually call them antipsychotics? That seems like poor branding to me. If I was a doctor and wanted to get my patient to take medicine, I feel like telling him he needs antipsychotics wouldn't be the best approach. Someone needs to come up with a better name for these things. Any suggestions?

1 comment: